One would be hard-pressed to find a runner this year who has performed as stoutly as Berks, the 4-year-old gelding by First Dude owned and bred in Maryland by Jagger Inc. Berks won at Laurel Park Friday, going wire to-wire under Jaime Rodriguez, scoring by nearly two lengths while clocked in 1:52.28 for a mile and an eighth. He paid $3.20 and earned a check for $27,600. Following is a synopsis of his last eight races, dating back to March 4. He has:
(1) Won five of his last six races, and six of his last eight, including one streak of four in a row.
(2) Raised his career record to 10-1-2 in 22 starts, and his earnings to $304,830 ($170,170 in 2023).
(3) Won the six races by a combined total of 17 1/2 lengths (one of them by 9).
(4) Received Equibase speed figures of 104, 103, 99, 94, 91 and 89.
(5) Won at six furlongs, one mile, 1 1/8 miles, one mile (off the turf), 7 1/2 furlongs on the turf, and 1 1/8 miles.
Hard to fault.